Make: magazine recently did a comprehensive review of 26 different 3D printers.
It chose 10 printers as Standouts:
- Best in shootout print quality / overall winner: Ultimaker 2
- Thin wallet win: Printrbot Simple Metal
- Most maker machine: Lulzbot Taz 4
- Feature packed: Replicator 5th Generation
- Happy mediums: Zortrax and Ditto Pro
- Rookie of the year: BEE THE FIRST
- Smart software integration: Deltamaker
- Reliable performer: Afinia Up Plus 2 (a.k.a. Up Plus 2)
- Most upgradable: Ultimaker Original+
We’ve personally tested a number of these machines and have had the best overall experience with the Afinia/Up printers using ABS plastic (especially using the Zortrax filament).
Buy your copy of the Make: 42 Annual 3D Printing Guide.